Jump to Main ContentJump to Primary Navigation
SaintsConference & EventsFoundationStore

FALCONS 37 WANDERERS 12 Kingston Park proves too much for Wandies

Travis PerkinsSponsored by Travis Perkins

Looking to make it ten from ten this season as they headed to Kingston Park for the last regular game of the Premiership Rugby A League, the Wanderers struggled to find their rhythm and ended their unbeaten run to Newcastle Falcons.

It was the first time Wandies had lost since September 2016, where they lost in the same fixture att the start of last season. 

Two tries from Will Allman and Matt Beesley showed signs of a second half comeback, but poor discipline hindered their efforts.

Newcastle were the first team to get onto the scoreboard, as an early Juan Pablo Socino penalty put the hosts ahead, but Wandies gathered themselves well and pushed Falcons deep into their 22. 

Ben Stevenson was able to intercept though and the winger made the 40 metre break for the line to dot down under the posts, giving his side the first try of the game and a 10-0 lead over Northampton. 

In similar fashion, the Falcons scored again, but this time it was Zach Kilbridge intercepted a Ben Foden pass and who made 60 metres for the line. 

Newcastle came close to scoring a third but a late knock on prevented the score on the approach to half time; Falcons had one last scrum but they could only manage to earn a penalty kick, which was converted by Socino. 

Wandies had a good start to the second-half, attacking well and working their way deep into Falcons territory in the hunt for their first try of the game. 

Tom Kessell came close for Northampton, only to knock on just before reaching the try line, but Wandies had the advantage. 

Newcastle defended exceptionally and their hard work paid off, as Kilbridge made another interception on Kessell’s pass and couldn’t be caught by the Wandies, pushing the lead to 27 points with just over 20 minutes to play. 

Replacement back row Allman scored his sides’ first try from a quick move of a ruck near the sticks, just minutes after stepping onto the field.

The momentum was turning the way of the away side and with the lions share of possession the Wandies kept pushing.

But a Joel Matavesi penalty came instead for the home side and the Wandies had to react.

Fortunately, they did so immediately and Beesley gave them hope of a heroic comeback with his try off the back of a driving maul, but Grayson missed the conversion, leaving a 17 point deficit. 

With the clock closing in on full time, Falcons overwhelmed the Wanderers with a superb maul before poor discipline from the away side gifted Newcastle a penalty try, securing the bonus point with it. 

Juan Pablo Estelles made a stellar charge for the line with a big fend with the last play of the game, but the ball was knocked on, and the game drew to a close, with Falcons taking the win.


FALCONS Penny; Kibridge, Waldouck, Mermoz, Stevenson; Socino, Elliott; Brocklebank, Blamire, Ilnicki, Cavubati, Davidson, Burrows (capt), Chick, Hogg

Subs Blackett, Mavinga, Payne, Davies, Graham, Cowell, Matavesi, Wacokecocke 

WANDIES Foden; Pisi, Dingwall, Stephenson (capt), T.Collins; Grayson, Kessell; Waller, Clare, M.Collins, Moon, D.Onojaife, Ludlam, Ryan, Eadi

Subs Fish, Beesley, Trinder, Allman, Strachan, Emery, Elliott, Estelles

3’ FALCONS Penalty Socino 3-0 
13’ FALCONS Try Stevenson Conversion Socino 10-0
24’ FALCONS Try Kilbridge Conversion Socino 17-0
40’ FALCONS Penalty Socino 20-0
HALF-TIME Falcons 20-0 Wandies
53’ FALCONS Try Kilbridge Conversion Socino 27-0
59’ WANDIES Try Allman Conversion Grayson 27-7
62’ FALCONS Penalty Matavesi 30-7
70’ WANDIES Try Beesley 30-12
72’ FALCONS Penalty Try 37-12
FULL-TIME Falcons 37-12 Wandies

Visit the Saints Store
Visit the Saints Store
Match tickets on sale now!
Match tickets on sale now!
23/24 Rugby Camps
23/24 Rugby Camps