Jump to Main ContentJump to Primary Navigation
SaintsConference & EventsFoundationStore

MATCH REPORT Pisi over twice as Wanderers down Falcons

Travis PerkinsSponsored by Travis Perkins

A healthy mix of Senior Academy and first teamers got a run out for the Wanderers, as they headed to Percy Park in North Shields to play the Falcons.

But it was the hosts who held the early advantage at 8-0, Waisea Luveniyali slotting a penalty and James Hamilton crossing for an unconverted score after the Falcons incisively ran back a Wanderers kick.

That was when the visitors took over, however, pegging Newcastle back for the remainder of the opening 40. Eventually the pressure told as forward power and a beautifully floated pass from Luther Burrell released Pisi on the left.

The winger stepped inside three men to go behind the posts but despite Will Hooley's extras, the Wanderers would have to wait until the start of the second half to capture a lead they would not relinquish.

That try was a carbon copy of the first, a lineout drive again taking them close to the line before Burrell released Samoan Pisi, though this time his route beneath the uprights was blocked and a hammering wind blew Hooley's conversion off target.

The forwards who had impressed so much then took over the scoring too - driving Danny Hobbs over as they utilised a weapon the first team deployed so successfully against Wasps.

Fellow Academy youngster Jack Allcock would also register thanks to Ryan Glynn's well-judged chip and after a lineout steal and Adam Parkins' enthusiastic chase of Hooley's high ball.

A quick retort from Suka Hufanga gave the Falcons brief hope of a comeback but when Teimana Harrison crashed through tacklers off first phase ball, no one was stopping the flanker's charge over the whitewash.

Harrison's try marked his return to action in the black, green and gold, and there was a welcome first start of the season in Saints colours for Sam Dickinson in the back row too.

Visit the Saints Store