Kayleigh Simpson - a student on the Saints HITZ programme - was named the HITZ Young Achiever of the Year at an awards ceremony at Barclays HQ on Tuesday evening.
The HITZ Young Achiever award recognises and rewards the young person who, by overcoming a range of challenges, has worked the hardest to progress on their journey back to education, training or employment.
Kayleigh, who was presented with the award by the Saints' own Harry Mallinder, was shortlisted after securing a full-time job whilst being a young carer to her father outside of college. A tumultuous maternal relationship left Kayleigh short of confidence, but she has transformed from an unteachable, confrontational teenager to a shining example of the HITZ programme.
As a national HITZ partner, Barclays supports the Young Achiever award.
HITZ AWARDS WINNERS 2016
· Community Impact Award, supported by Wooden Spoon. Winner: Jack Clarke of Exeter Chiefs
· Young Ambassador, supported by Premiership Rugby. Winner: Stanna Shaylor of Wasps
· Best Rugby Performer, supported by Land Rover. Winner: Ryan Driver of Leicester Tigers
· HITZ Champion Award, supported by Comic Relief. Winner: Ian Fennell of Sale Sharks
· HITZ Young Achiever, supported by Barclays. Winner: Kayleigh Simpson of Northampton Saints
The HITZ Awards recognise some of the most inspiring young people in England. The HITZ programme delivered nationally by Premiership Rugby and funded by national partners Barclays, Comic Relief, Land Rover and Wooden Spoon tackles some of the greatest challenges facing young people today – unemployment, crime and disillusionment. See hitzrugby.com